In 1840 this location was built as a 2 room log cabin by a Texas Ranger, James Campbell. James Campbell was
killed by Indians shortly after completing his home.
The building was purchased by the City's Chief Justice Jeremiah Calvert. He used the building as a wedding venue and hotel.
The most famous of weddings hosted there was that of his daughter to another Texas Ranger, John "Jack" Coffee Hays.
In 1844 a family purchased the cabin and converted it into a stagecoach station which allowed travelers a place to stop and rest along the Texas Frontier, as early as 1844 it became known as the Magnolia Hotel.
The Limecrete section of the hotel was added to the cabin in early 1846. Then sometime in 1853 the two story frame hotel was constructed to replace the log cabin.
The hotel was sold in 1850 to a dentist (Dr. William Reed)
who operated the hotel until 1860.
Thomas & Katherine Johnson bought the hotel and owned it until they sold it in 1900. In their time of owning the hotel they used a bell from the Alamo to ring for the dinnertime bell.
During the years from 1848 to 1880 the Mgnolia was the place to be in this town. It was the stagecoach stop and served food, drinks and hosted dances in the ballroom.
In 1930 a couple bought the hotel and made small apartments upstairs while they lived in the downstairs portion. This went on until around 1995.
The building became non-inhabitable until it was purchased in 2013 by the current owners who have restored much of the hotel. And they operate it as a museum and a B&B.