This castle was first mentioned in history books between the years of 911 and 1149
The Dukes of Schonburg ruled over the town of Oberwesel and levied customs on the Rhine river.
In the 14th century it is reported that the castle accommodated up to 250 persons from 24 families at the same time. This was because in that time when the Duke passed away all the son's became heir's to the property.
The castle was heavily damaged in 1689 by french soldiers during the Palatinate Heritage War.
It laid in ruins for almost 200 years when it was acquired from the town of Oberwesel, by a German-American family. The Family was the Rhinelander's. The family invested around 2 million gold marks into the restoration until 1914. Mr. Rhinelander's son sold the castle back to the town of Oberwesel in 1950.
The current owners acquired the castle on a long term lease in 1957 and maintain it as a hotel a restaurant. It has remained in their care control and custody to date.